Australia is a beautiful country with plenty to see and do, but despite its bountiful ecosystem, people may choose to fly overseas for a vacation. If you are an Australian pensioner and want to spend some time abroad, here are the details of how long you can stay away from home.

The Australian government knows that many of its citizens want to travel the world. It also knows that some of those citizens will want to stay overseas for an extended period. Considering this, it has established specific visa rules that govern how long an Australian pensioner can stay overseas.

In this article, we will discuss how you can stay abroad for a long duration while continuing to receive your pension.

Traveling To A Country Which Has A Social Security Agreement With Australia

Australia has international social security agreements with 31 nations that cover social security payments for people of both the agreement country and Australia.

This implies that if you visit or relocate to Canada, the United States, New Zealand, India, Greece, the United Kingdom, or any other nation with which Australia shares social security coverage, you can continue receiving your pension.

This is because the agreement protects your pension from termination. You will also be able to receive any pensions that the Australian government owes you, as well as any other payments that the agreement covers.

Relocating abroad

Will I Lose My Pension If I Move Abroad?

Will I Lose My Pension If I Move AbroadIf you’re planning on moving abroad, you may wonder if your pension will follow you. The short answer is yes. But there are some essential things to consider.

Centrelink will evaluate a person’s circumstances when they depart Australia, whether temporarily or permanently, to determine the amount of age pension payment they are entitled to while overseas.

When calculating the age pension a person is eligible to receive, Centrelink will consider two factors—how long a person has lived in Australia and how long they plan on traveling abroad.

Australia has a 35-year residency requirement known as the “Australian Working Life Residency” (AWLR). As a result, if a person has a 35-year AWLR and stays abroad for more than 26 weeks, they will continue to receive the full-age pension they are qualified for.

After that, there is a 2-year waiting period before the age pension payment of the former residence becomes transferrable. The payment is revoked, and the applicant must reapply if they leave Australia before the two-year period has passed. If a person lives in a nation with a social security agreement with Australia, they are eligible to apply for the age pension there.

The pension is paid at a rate equivalent to the Australian pension. However, it may be subject to income tax in the new country. The recipient must also pay any medical expenses or accommodation costs incurred while living overseas.

How Long Is AUS Age Pension Paid If Overseas?

Pensioners who spend between six and twenty-six weeks abroad will still be entitled to the full Age Pension. Their Pension Supplement, which they use to pay for utilities, transportation, and phone costs, will be cut to the base rate. The basic rate is currently $26.20 for individuals and $21.60 for couples.

The government will discontinue paying your Energy Supplement and your Pensioner Concession Card while you are overseas. However, these benefits can be reinstated once you return to Australia.

Holders of a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card are permitted to leave Australia for up to 19 weeks before their card is revoked. When they return home, individuals may reapply to receive savings on some Medicare services and access cheaper medications under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

Staying Overseas For More Than 26 Weeks

Staying Overseas For More Than 26 WeeksThe length of residency in the nation determines the pension rate for retirees who stay abroad for more than six months.

You will get a proportionate payment if you have resided in Australia for fewer than 35 years between the time you turned 16 and retirement age. For example, retirees who have lived in the country for ten years will receive 10/35ths of the standard Age Pension rate.

Those who have lived in Australia for at least 35 years, starting at age 16 and ending at pension age, will receive the entire Age Pension.

If an individual lived in Australia for 25 years, traveled outside the country for no more than 26 weeks since July 1, 2014, and received their pension throughout that time, they will continue to receive their full Age Pension.

Age Pension Portability

In general, a person must be a resident of Australia on the date they first apply for the Age Pension to be eligible. Applicants can also submit their documents to any of the 31 countries Australia has an International Social Security Agreement with.

To be eligible for the Age Pension, they must have lived in Australia for at least ten years without taking leave during the last five of those years.

Before a former resident’s pension becomes portable, they must remain in Australia for a minimum of two years after returning to the nation to receive the Age Pension. Payments will be canceled if someone leaves Australia before the two years are done, and they will need to reapply.

If you’re a former resident and want to claim the Age Pension, you should contact Centrelink as soon as possible. You can do this by phone or through their website. The agency will ask for your International Social Security Number (ISSN), which they will use to determine if you qualify.

Do I Have To Inform Centrelink If I Go Overseas?

As the name suggests, Centrelink is a government-run service that provides financial assistance to Australians in need. A large part of this assistance comes from pensions for those unable to work due to disability or unemployment.

To receive these payments, you must meet specific requirements, including being a citizen of Australia, being over 18 years old, and living in Australia for at least ten years.

However, if you plan to go overseas, you may wonder whether you need to inform Centrelink about your plans before leaving. The answer is yes! It would be best if you informed Centrelink as soon as possible so that they can make arrangements for your payments while you are away from home.

You must inform Centrelink of your travel arrangements if:

  • If you plan to be away from home for more than six weeks
  • You are considering a move to another country
  • You are receiving Age Pension under an agreement between Australia and another country.
  • You are leaving Australia for a second time within two years of your first departure, and you have been getting Age Pension.
  • If you are receiving a single pension and want to visit your partner who lives overseas

Utilizing your online Centrelink account through myGov is the most straightforward approach to notify Centrelink. Be sure to set up the online account before you leave the country so that you may access payment information and amend travel information.

You can also contact Centrelink or a Centrelink service center nearby to inform them about your vacation intentions. You can also designate a representative from within or outside of Australia.

Will Centrelink Stop Sending Payments If I Go Overseas?

If you are planning to move overseas, there are many things to consider. One of the most important is whether your Centrelink payments will continue if you move overseas.

The short answer is that they won’t. But there are a few things to consider before taking off for a foreign adventure.

If you expect to be away from home for less than a year, Centrelink will continue sending regular payments to your Australian bank account bi-weekly. Payments will be made every four weeks to pensioners who intend to travel abroad for more than a year to their Australian or foreign bank accounts. The second option will result in payment being made in local currency and taking up to six days to reach your account. You will need to cover the bank and exchange fees.

When You Leave For Another Country

Even after you leave the country, you should continue to report any changes to your circumstances (such as job income, a partner’s death, or modifications to your marital status), as your assets and finances abroad affect your Age Pension rate. Additionally, you should update your contact information because Centrelink may cease paying you if they can’t get in touch with you.

If you are an Australian pensioner, your retirement income will differ from what it would be if you had worked in Australia. That’s because the Australian Government has created a pension system that allows you to take your pension around the world, even to other countries like New Zealand.

If you’re planning on moving overseas and want to keep receiving your pension, there are a few things you need to know. Firstly, you must understand what income support payments will be available where you live. Some countries do not offer any social security benefits for retirees, so it’s essential to research what options might be available before making any significant moves.

Ultimately, it’s important to remember that your Australian pension is yours. If you choose to leave the country and live elsewhere, it’s your right to do so. However, you should be aware that every country has its regulations regarding pensions, and they may only sometimes agree with Australia’s policies.